Factors in Influencer Marketing That Affect Generation Z's Impulse Buying Behavior on Instagram
Influencer marketing is one of the strategies used to influence consumers in deciding on purchases through Instagram social media. However, along with the development of Instagram social media, the number of influencers on Instagram social media has also grown, which makes it difficult for brands to choose the right influencers to influence Generation Z to make purchase decisions. Generation Z, the majority of Indonesia's population, is the digital generation that most often makes online purchases. The phenomenon of impulse buying or unplanned purchases is a phenomenon that can be an opportunity for business actors to develop their marketing strategies to increase sales. This study aimed to analyze the factors that can influence the impulse buying behavior of Generation Z on Instagram. The survey was conducted based on a sample of 109 Instagram users in Indonesia who had made impulse purchases because they saw content uploaded by Influencers on Instagram. The results of this study state that factors in influencer marketing that can influence the impulse buying behavior of Generation Z on Instagram social media are source credibility moderated by the type of influencer. Source credibility has 3 components: expertise, attractiveness, and trustworthiness. At the same time, the type of influencer is divided into micro-influencers and macro-influencers, which are measured based on the number of followers they have. Furthermore, the findings from this study have beneficial implications for developing effective Instagram marketing communication strategies with the Generation Z target market.
Keywords: Generation Z, Impulse Buying, Source Credibility, Influencer Marketing
2. Amos C, Holmes GR, Keneson WC. A meta-analysis of consumer impulse buying. J Retail Consum Serv [Internet]. 2014;21(2):86–97. Available from: http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.jretconser.2013.11.004
3. Sudha S, Bharathi K. Role of social media influence on customers impulsive buying behaviour towards apparel. Int J Supply Chain Manag. 2018;7(5):903–8.
4. Djafarova E, Bowes T. ‘Instagram made Me buy it’: Generation Z impulse purchases in fashion industry. J Retail Consum Serv [Internet]. 2021;59(xxxx):102345. Available from: https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jretconser.2020.102345
5. Indonesia D. Instagram users in Indonesia. Napoleaon Cat [Internet]. 2023; Available from: https://napoleoncat.com/stats/instagram-users-in-indonesia/2023/04/
6. Casaló L V., Flavián C, Ibáñez-Sánchez S. Influencers on Instagram: Antecedents and consequences of opinion leadership. J Bus Res. 2020;117(October 2017):510–9.
7. Veissi I. Influencer Marketing on Instagram. 2017;3–60. Available from: http://essay.utwente.nl/72442/1/Ewers_MA_BMS.pdf
8. Backaler J. Digital Influence. Digital Influence. 2018.
9. Silvera DH, Austad B. Factors predicting the effectiveness of celebrity endorsement advertisements. Eur J Mark. 2004;38(11–12):1509–26.
10. Koay KY, Teoh CW, Soh PC-H. Instagram influencer marketing: Perceived social media marketing activities and online impulse buying. First Monday. 2021;
11. Prihana Gunawan N, Permadi Iskandar IB. Analyzing the Impact of Fashion Influencer on Online Impulsive Buying Behavior. KnE Soc Sci. 2020;2020:350–63.
12. Lou C, Yuan S. Influencer Marketing: How Message Value and Credibility Affect Consumer Trust of Branded Content on Social Media. J Interact Advert [Internet]. 2019;19(1):58–73. Available from: https://doi.org/10.1080/15252019.2018.1533501
13. De Veirman M, Cauberghe V, Hudders L. Marketing through instagram influencers: The impact of number of followers and product divergence on brand attitude. Int J Advert [Internet]. 2017;36(5):798–828. Available from: https://doi.org/10.1080/02650487.2017.1348035
14. Giles DC, Edwards L. Instagram and the Rise of the Social Media ‘Influencer.’ Twenty-First Century Celebr Fame Digit Cult. 2018;155–73.
15. Sammis, K., Lincoln, C., & Pomponi S. Influencer Marketing For Dummies. John Wiley & Sons; 2016.
16. Carter D. Hustle and Brand: The Sociotechnical Shaping of Influence. Soc Media Soc. 2016;2(3).
17. Martínez-López FJ, Anaya-Sánchez R, Fernández Giordano M, Lopez-Lopez D. Behind influencer marketing: key marketing decisions and their effects on followers’ responses. J Mark Manag [Internet]. 2020;36(7–8):579–607. Available from: https://doi.org/10.1080/0267257X.2020.1738525
18. Brown D, Fiorella S. Influence Marketing. Que Publishing. 2013. 73–94 p.
19. Alice E. Marwick. Status Update: Celebrity, Publicity, and Branding in the Social Media Age. Int J Commun. 2013;8(368).
20. Hwang Y, Jeong SH. “This is a sponsored blog post, but all opinions are my own”: The effects of sponsorship disclosure on responses to sponsored blog posts. Comput Human Behav [Internet]. 2016;62:528–35. Available from: http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.chb.2016.04.026
21. Amelina D, Zhu YQ. Investigating effectiveness of source credibility elements on social commerce endorsement: The case of instagram in Indonesia. In: Pacific Asia Conference on Information Systems, PACIS 2016 - Proceedings. 2016.
22. Bhakat RS, Muruganantham G. A Review of Impulse Buying Behavior. Int J Mark Stud. 2013;5(3).
23. Sharma P, Sivakumaran B, Marshall R. Impulse buying and variety seeking : A trait-correlates perspective. J Bus Res [Internet]. 2010;63(3):276–83. Available from: http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.jbusres.2009.03.013
24. Dholakia UM. Temptation and resistance: An integrated model of consumption impulse formation and enactment. Psychol Mark. 2000;17(11):955–82.
25. YI-FEN CHEN and RUO-YU WANG. Are humans rational? Exploring factors influencing impulse buying intention and continuous impulse buying intention. J Consum Behav J Consum Behav. 2016;50(October):: 186–197.
26. Riegner C. Word of mouth on the web: The impact of web 2.0 on consumer purchase decisions. In: Journal of Advertising Research. 2007. p. 436–47.
27. Rusiadi, Subiantoro, Nur dan Hidayat R. Metode Penelitian : Manajemen, Akuntansi dan Ekonomi Pembangunan. Konsep, Kasus dan Aplikasi SPSS. Press. A, editor. USU Press.; 2016.
28. Hair, J., Black, W., Babin, B., Anderson, R., & Tatham R. Multivariate Data Analysis. 6th ed. Pearson Prentice Hall; 2006.
29. Priyatno Duwi. Teknik Mudah dan Cepat Melakukan Analisis Data Penelitian dengan SPSS. Gava media; 2010.
30. Juliandi A, Irfan MS. Metodologi Penelitian Bisnis: Konsep dan Aplikasi. UMSU Press; 2014.
31. BFI Finance. Makin Cuan, Ini Usaha Online Shop Terlaris Tahun 2023 [Internet]. 2023 [cited 2023 Jun 4]. Available from: https://www.bfi.co.id/id/blog/ini-usaha-online-shop-terlaris
32. Schouten AP, Janssen L, Verspaget M. Celebrity vs . Influencer endorsements in advertising : the role of identification , credibility , and Product-Endorser fit role of identification , credibility , and Product-Endorser fit. Int J Advert [Internet]. 2019;0(0):1–24. Available from: https://doi.org/10.1080/02650487.2019.1634898
33. Kompas. Siapa Influencer yang Paling Berpengaruh Bagi Gen Z? [Internet]. 2022 [cited 2023 Jul 27]. Available from: https://jeo.kompas.com/siapa-influencer-yang-paling-berpengaruh-bagi-gen-z
Copyright (c) 2023 Sinergi : Jurnal Ilmiah Ilmu Manajemen
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.